Sunday, December 9, 2012

An Easy Christmas Centerpiece

Since painting up my long wood box a few months ago, I've enjoyed decorating it for Fall and now for Christmas!  

I didn't re-create the wheel from my Fall centerpiece, but just substituted Christmas items and greens instead of pumpkins and moss. Like my Christmas Dough Bowl, this is an easy project to do at home if you have a long planter box or old tool caddy.
Once again, I started with a thick base of greenery (Fraser fir trimmings) and filled up the box to the top and let some of the greenery hang over the sides.  Depending how deep your box is, it helps to use some filler like floral foam or plastic grocery bags underneath the greenery to help build the height.  
After I get the greenery in place, I tuck the larger items in that I plan to use in the arrangement (large mercury glass candle and oversize mercury glass ornaments)...
After placing the larger items in the greenery, I just keep tucking and placing the items I want to use from large to small until I get the look I'm happy with.  I love to pop in some tall candles to add some height here and there...
Since my dining room has pale blue silk curtains, I chose to use silver and blue glass ornaments and white and silver pine cones for most of the filler.  I also added some fresh magnolia leaves and sprigs of cedar to mix up the greenery a bit...
There you have it... an easy and fresh Christmas centerpiece!  (Note:  you'll want to keep the greens from drying out before Christmas by lightly spritzing them with water or lining the box in plastic and tucking the greens into water-soaked floral foam.)
My dining room was kept pretty simple this year, but I did add a few more Christmas touches like some fresh wreaths on the windows...
    and some cute bottle brush trees on my dining room cabinet...
All my dining room needs now is company for Christmas and some delicious food!

Kristen

Linking up to:

39 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Where is your table from?

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh I think your centerpiece is gorgeous and it goes so well with your long and rustic table, actually, it would go on mine too, which is not rustic...thanks, you can send it to me, lol.. Happy holidays.
FABBY

P.j. said...

This is GORGEOUS!---And matches my color scheme, too! Just let me know when you're tired of it & want to pass it down! ;-)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is just beautiful, Kristen! That piece is certainly well worth having with all the different ways you can decorate it.

Carrie said...

Lovely, just lovely! I'm enjoying looking at and reading about how you're decorating you new home!

P.j. said...

I just shared your blog on our FB page (www.facebook.com/MorganManorBedandBreakfast). Do you have a Facebook page?

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is gorgeous, Kristen. I love your table.

Jennifer said...

It's like a magazine! So gorgeous! Pinning and FBing!

Pollyanna said...

What a simply lovely idea ... simply of course is the operative word ... I like that you made over your Thanksgiving tribute!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Everything looks amazing. You have a beautiful home. :)

Unknown said...

Love this! What a great idea. I love your table too!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It looks gorgeous! I just love it! I wonderful what you will do for Easter? ;)

Katarina said...

I love your centerpiece and I adore your chandelier! :-)

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I am so going to copy your box idea! My table isn't so long so I'll have to make a short box :) I love how you decorated it for Christmas :) Hope you are enjoying the season (and it looks like you are :))

Leslie said...

Your wood box is gorgeous! I love all the blue with the greens. You can change out the decor with all the different holidays :)

Warm, cozy, and very festive!

leslie
www.trouverlesoleil.blogspot.com

WanderfullyLost said...

I love how versatile that box is and it's pretty too :) Your dining room looks gorgeous.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hi Kristen~
It took me a while to catch up with all your Christmas decorating. Wow, you are a busy lady. It is all so beautiful and such fun to see.

srpprcrftr said...

I could go on and on about everything I've seen in your d/r and even a little of your l/r but it's all gorgeous and so well done. Very pretty. Love that box down your table with all the gorgeous greenery and ornamentation. You're a talented lady. Looks like you love your home and truly enjoy decorating it and keeping your home nice for your family.
We have a partial wall between our kitchen and l/r so think I might just have to have hubs make a long box like yours to decorate shelf on wall. Happy Week

Anonymous said...

Your table looks stunning!!

Kathy

SerendipityRefined said...

Beautiful! Stopping by from BNOTP. I'm off to look around your page! xo, Kimberly

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

As usual your table is gorgeous...love the colors and natural elements...a show stopper!!...Love the image of your table looking into the other room!..very beautiful!!

michele said...

stunning, kristen, and i'm loving the striped candles.

michele

Shanee said...

Very pretty, thanks for sharing. Visiting from BNOP.

Cheryl said...

I love your centerpiece, and the prints on the wall behind the table! Glad I found your blog!

Tisha Clapp said...

Beautiful! I love your soft colors and the trough. I have a couple of large planters that I am going to fill - thanks for the inspiration!

Designing Domesticity said...

This is fresh, simple and stunning. beautifully done. Love your combo of settee and wicker as well. Lovely room. Thanks for sharing, liz

Vonda said...

The centerpiece is gorgeous!!

Love Of Quilts said...

YOU HAD QUITE A BRAINSTORM. I LOVE THE TABLE PLANTER.

Vel Criste said...

Wow, what a beautfiul centerpiece!!!! I love all the greens and you just mixed in the right amount of sparkle! Your tree is gorgeous too! love it! Great job!

Linking back from Holiday home

Debra from Bungalow said...

Beautiful, gorgeous, amazing! Love it all! Merry Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen, your home looks absolutely beautiful! I love your natural holiday decor with that little pop of sparkle - so simple and sweet!

-From one Kristen to another :)

Holly Ferrera Allen said...

Kristen,
I love the idea of the reusable tablebox. I have been combing the blogs for great ideas for myself and to feature in my blog. I am including the link to this post in my new post for tomorrow.
Blessings!
Holly
http://thesouthernhomemaker.com

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

This is so stunning! Of course I'll be featuring :)
XO
Kristin

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

It's so lovely! What a gorgeous table!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful table, love how you used the blues and silver. Stunning.

Olive said...

It's beautiful. The whole look is serene.

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Gorgeous gorgeous centerpiece!

Linda said...

I love your taste in decorating! I became a follower today!

Merry Christmas!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

I love me a little rustic glam look like this. Gorgeous!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...