Thursday, February 7, 2013

Snippets of the New House

Last week, I mentioned that my mom and step-dad were closing on their new house in the subdivision next to mine.  They moved out to the Raleigh area from Spokane, WA last summer and lived with us for a few months and then stayed in an apartment while their house was being built.  After much deliberation of house plans and communities in the area, they ultimately chose a beautiful community with the equestrian barn, miles of beautiful jogging trails, and many other amenities. It's a great community with lots of wide open spaces which was important to them after moving from their previous home on three acres.


They had their hearts set on farmhouse or southern traditional style of home, but the community where they built consists of mostly craftsman style architecture.  They were able to tweak the house plan and exterior to try and get more of a farmhouse feel mostly just by changing the window style, exterior house colors, and other minor architectural changes.  
My mom loves, loves red and went with a pop of the color on the front door and exterior lights to brighten up the gray exterior.  This makes me fall in love with red and I'm a neutral gal!
These lights are my favorite and add a ton of character!  
I titled this post "Snippets of the New House" for a reason though.  I was so hoping to get into the house right after closing and take pictures of all the rooms before all the boxes and furniture was moved in, but there was a time crunch and someone forgot their camera...oops!  My mom is still knee deep in boxes and I promised I wouldn't share too much of her unorganized house, but she's already done some painting and I spent yesterday afternoon going over paint decks and design plans with her.  Stay tuned though... their house is going to be beautiful when they're done with it!  In the meantime, here's a few peeks...
They were very fortunate that their builder gave them a lighting allowance and my mom and I were able to find several antique lights, including this one in her foyer, at the Liberty Antiques Show last fall.  My step-dad re-wired them and freshened parts of them up with paint.  
I love how vintage light fixtures can completely transform a space and turn a builder-grade house into something much more unique...not to mention these were significantly less expensive than the run-of-the-mill fixtures that come with the builder's plan.
This picture was actually taken before the house was completed, but choosing the traditional 5-panel farmhouse doors was another way to customize their home to get the look they desired.  They did infuse some modern touches here and there with solid black granite paired with black-glazed ivory cabinets in the kitchen and this beautiful glass and stone tile in the master bathroom...
One of my favorite rooms in the house is the dining room and I think it's because I love the color my mom chose for it (SW Silvermist).  Builders generally only allow you to pick 2-3 colors for the entire interior so she she chose a neutral color in almost all the rooms until she can get to re-painting them, but this one is staying...
You'll be seeing this color again soon! I just bought a can today for my powder room.  I can't wait to use it.
I know my mom is enjoying pulling out all her belongings that have been in storage since last July, but also a bit overwhelmed figuring where everything is going to go at first.
 I had the same problem last year when I moved and still find myself moving things around! 
Yes, my mom made the "Ice Cold Milk" sign and my step-dad made the bird house... Now that the house is finally done, it's fun to all go over and talk design with mom and let the kids ride bikes and pet the horses...

As I mentioned, I'll be sharing their house as they get settled and complete some rooms so stay tuned...

Kristen

27 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Can't wait to see more. Love the red and love the lights.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Beautiful curb appeal and I love those red light fixtures!

Blessings,
Linda

Danielle said...

OMG what a gorgeous home. I love that the builder gave her an allowance, those light fixtures make a huge difference. Can't wait to see the rest.

Tardevil said...

What a pretty house! Love the silvermist. Do you know what the neutral beige color is? Thanks.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love their new home! that dining room ceiling looks amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the fun!

Art and Sand said...

How fun to have your parents living nearby.

I love red and also have a red door.

I look forward to seeing more of their house as they settle in.

Marsha said...

I'm loving those red lights...and the antique one in the foyer. It's beautiful! I know you'll enjoy having your parents close by. I know your girls will certainly enjoy your folks and the fun times that are ahead for them.

Atta Girl Amy said...

I'm a big fan of Silvermist, too. I was considering it for my dining room. And I think Shirley has several rooms painted in it. It's a popular color in our crowd.

The house is beautiful, and I love those lights.

Now, I'm kicking myself for skipping Liberty in the fall. I must go this spring!

Brooke said...

What an adorable house! When can I move in?


Brooke

Shabby chic Sandy said...

The house is so pretty--can't wait to see more!

Sassy Southern Lady said...

Beautiful home. I want to see more so please share.

Eclectically Vintage said...

I'm all about lighting - those red porch lights - swooning!
Kelly

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's looking beautiful, Kristen. I love the outside. I know those feelings well of trying to figure out where to put things in a new home. We've been in our place a year and a half and I'm still feeling like some areas are trial and error.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What a gorgeous house! I love all of the vintage touches! I can't wait to see more!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful home and I think I've found a new color for my bedroom! I love her pops of red and the antique light fixtures too. It must be a bit hard to move across the country but the woods there look a lot like Spokane, except warmer this time of year. Can't wait to see more! Patti@OldThingsNew
http://patricia-krank.blogspot.com/

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Lovely! The home, the light fixtures, paint colors, but most of all that she gets to be close to you and your growing family!Hello to you and your mom!!

xox

Glad & Celia

Lauren said...

Beautiful new home! Love the Silvermist, really pretty dining room!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh I love it!!!...the fixtures are gorgeous and with both extremely talented people like your mom and step-dad and YOU, the house is going to look amazing...it already does!....and you know how much I love Silvermist....So far I have 4 rooms painted that color!..the dining room could get that color too...our group should form a "Silvermist Fan Club"...ha!....that birdhouse is the most clever/creative one I have ever seen!!...Have a great weekend...Congrats to your mom...please give her my regards!!...or should I say..love your house Linda!!!!...and that cute little one "Miss S" looks like a tour guide...saying, come on in!!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

This house is fabulous! The design is so beautiful and I love the red door and lights on the porch! The antique light fixtures y'all bought are so special! Love that color in the dining room too! Looking forward to seeing more of the progress! Hugs, Leena

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The architectural detal in her new house looks soooooo beautiful. Love all the moldings. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Hugs, marty

Suzy said...

Your mom's house is gorgeous, Kristen! I can't wait to watch the two of you put your decorating talents to good use.

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

Can I ask where the red light fixtures on the porch are from? Very cute!

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

Can I ask where the red light fixtures on the porch are from? Very cute!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to see more! I love the red fixtures out on the front porch.

Unknown said...

That’s a very lovely house! Aside from the house itself, its location is what I like the most. I’d love to live in a place away from the city, just near the nature, where I can relax and breathe fresh air. Your parents made a good purchase!

-Johnnie Blount

Stacey said...

The red door and light fixtures!! What a wonderful welcome for visitors. I can already see that your parents decorate beautifully. Can't wait to see ... if they let you share. Tell you dad that I'm loving that birdhouse.

cer227 said...

Love this house! I was looking for a photo to use as a template for my farm house in CA and ran across your blog. I would love to know the name of the exterior paint and the beautiful red used on the door. This is exactly the color combination I've been searching for...thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...