Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Dough Bowl

Who doesn't love those classic antique wooden dough bowls?  I've certainly been a fan of them for a while, but didn't come across any I was willing to plunk down the cash for. Well, if you look long enough, you'll eventually find a deal... I now have a really large one (it's almost like a small canoe!) and most recently came across a perfectly-sized round one on my Greensboro shopping trip...

These bowls are so versatile!  From filling with greens or wrapped gifts for Christmas, pumpkins for fall...
...or books and magazines under the coffee table for everyday use, it's no wonder why they are so popular.  I couldn't wait to get mine ready for Christmas and even though I just played with the arrangement and didn't take pictures along with way, it's a very easy project...
You can use artificial greens or any kind of filler for the base of the arrangement.  I used fresh Fraser fir clippings (free from a local Christmas tree vendor).  Note: if you want to use fresh greenery, you'll want to periodically spritz the greens with water or line the bowl with plastic and tuck the greens into water-soaked floral foam to keep them fresh.  
After creating a nice, thick base of greens, it's time to personalize the arrangement for your decor.  Since I'm using a garden-inspired theme in my front living room this Christmas, I used a large grapevine ball (purchased from Carolina Pottery) to be in the center...
I then simply tucked dried hydrangeas, silver and blue glass ornaments, fresh magnolia leaves, and sprigs of cedar in around the grapevine ball until I achieved the look I wanted...
Super easy!  There so many variations of colors and looks that you can use so keep a lookout for those dough bowls!
I'm pretty much done decorating for Christmas...whew!  I still have a ton of clean-up and pictures to take, but stick around because I have much to share, including my favorite antique china cabinet...

Kristen

Linking up to:

10 comments:

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Its just beautiful Kristen. I would love to walk thru your home and see it in person, b/c I bet it is just breathtaking. xxoo

Unknown said...

You are an amazing decorator!! I LOVE everything you do!! LOVED your Christmas Living Room and this is just stunning!! Gorgeous!!

Andrea said...

I love dough bowls, also. Yours looks so pretty-I filled mine with pinecones and greenery and placed it on top of an antique armoire

Melanie said...

Your beautiful centrepiece is stunning ! Thankyou for sharing with us all and have a fantastic Christmas x

Anonymous said...

Love it. Just beautiful. Can't wait to see more pics of your Christmas decor.

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Kristen, Everything looks lovely! I would love to find a round dough bowl one of these days, they look so good with greens in them.

Unknown said...

I love the way that you zhushed up your dough bowl -- it looks lovely! And thanks for the tip about spritzing Christmas greenery. I immediately called my mom to tell her this because hers has been dying out already. :-)

Eclectically Vintage said...

Can you believe I passed by a dough bowl at Brimfield - yes, I'm still kicking myself! Gorgeous display!
Kelly

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful, beautiful Kristen...so envious that you are done with your decorating...I have many more days of it!!..Love the new dough bowl and looking forward to seeing what you are doing with the large "canoe" bowl!!...I am certain it will be magnificent!!!..

Vel Criste said...

This is such abeautiufl display! Love all the greens and the way the ornaments are place around.

Linking back from Centsational girl

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...