Tuesday, October 23, 2012

White-Glazed Chateau Grey Cabinet and Recent Finds

I love finding these tall graceful cabinets with all their incredible details when I'm out and about.  I picked up this gem from Craig's List after seeing several unpainted (and pricier) versions in some antique shops.  The wood was dried and tired and had a bit of veneer damage so I didn't feel bad about  giving it a second life with a little paint (sorry no before pic on this one).  

After washing the cabinet inside and out, I got to work painting the inside, door, and details in a creamy white (Behr's Navajo White in flat).  Navajo White is very similar to ASCP Old White.
The outside of the piece was painted in ASCP Chateau Grey, which is a very greenish, grey, but a very pretty color...
Since the Chateau Grey is naturally a darker color, I opted to lighten it up a bit using my white glaze technique similar to my Coco Dresser.  After glazing and lightly distressing some areas, I gave it a good coat of protective furniture wax and buffed it to a light sheen.  
I had a fun time filling this cabinet with some of my recent finds!  I've had a small collection of antique trophies for a while.  I was lucky enough to score these two for just $20 each about three years ago...
With a "Best Greyhound" and a first place Hampshire Ewe award, I now have a sailing trophy cup that I found last week to add to my collection...
I also recently found this adorable pointing Irish Setter statue...someday my husband and I would love to have some bird dogs to accompany us on bird-hunting trips!
Of course, I had to buy this giant Seth Thomas clock to add to my collection when Shirley and I were out shopping at Revival Antiques together...
That little printed book is also one of my favorite recent finds for $2...such a cute cover!
This cabinet will hopefully be making an appearance in SuzAnna's soon!

Kristen

Linking up to:

23 comments:

Andrea said...

love the cabinet, and how you painted it! I see those online quite a bit, too, and am so tempted, but don't have the perfect spot for one. Adore your trophies-I would love to find some, but alas, when I do, they are crazy expensive!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's a beautiful cabinet with great detailing, Kristen! Love the colors. I'll have to remember about the Navajo White. I like to try and keep regular flat white paint on hand, too. Since my Heirloom White ran out, I'm sure I'll be looking to get something soon.

Cassie Bustamante said...

so pretty! and i am totally smitten with your recent finds! :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...what a magnificent cabinet...it will not last very long at SuzAnna's!!...and I love those trophies..I finally get to see what you had talked about..they are fantastic...and that clock looks great...so glad you found it!!!....

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That cabinet is beautiful! You did a great job with it--I can imagine what it looked like before:) The colors are great!

srpprcrftr said...

Love how you refabed that cabinet. Wow, the colors are perfect for it. brought out all the intricate details. The decoration on the door really makes it special. Good thing I don't have any place I could put it. I'd so love to have it,maybe I could find a place. Only problem, I live in Grand Junction, CO area. Happy week.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Would you believe I had a cabinet just like it about 15 years ago (not painted) and sold it for $40.00, I'm kicking myself now.LOL I love yours and I'll have to look into the Bher paint that resembles AS Old White, thanks for the tip!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love this cabinet and Chateau Gray is one of my favorite colors. I have several pieces in that color and may paint my lower black cabinets that color soon when I find time. You have a great trophy collection and what a price. I have one and want more, but they are so expensive here. Great dog.

Anonymous said...

I have serious cabinet envy! Gorgeous! I'm dying to try this on an old secretary I have, thanks for the inspirations.

Eclectically Vintage said...

Do you know we have matching trophy collections!! I have about a dozen - bought all at once and I love them. You win the trophy for a fabulous collection
Kelly

Atta Girl Amy said...

I want a trophy collection so I can be as fab as you and Kelly! Seriously, I have been on the hunt for some vintage trophies for years. I must come shopping with you and then push you out of the way when you find all this fabulousness, my friend! :)

Beautiful cabinet. I've not painted with Chateau Gray. So many colors, so little time.

I wonder if this is the piece with the cat hair and also that contributed to your back injury? If so, price it to account for all your troubles. :)

Atta Girl Amy
www.attagirlsays.com

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

The transformation is amazing. You did a great job. I love the dog figurine and the vintage clock.

Courtney @ Ordinary Happily Ever After said...

That is beautiful! I love it :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Kristen, you've done it again. Each furniture makeover I love more than the last. and you've decorated the inside perfectly! LOVE those trophies!! thanks so much for coming to the party!

chateau chic said...

Love all the detail on your pretty cabinet. Paint certainly does wonders in transforming an old piece. Great trophy collection.
Mary Alice

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Your cabinet is amazing! Those cutouts give it such character and the colors you chose and the finish you applied is so eye-catching! I keep checking craigslist but around here people sell some of the ugliest cheap furniture you ever saw. I'll just have to enjoy yours. Less work that way too! :)
Liz

Miss Lady Aga said...

Kristen what a great job! Chateau Grey is one of my favorite colors and just love it paired with old white!

Shirley

Michele said...

That looks awesome! Would love for you to share at my weekend link party! www.knottooshabbyfurnishings.com

Restoration House Interiors said...

absolutely love this! Joining from MMS FFF...new follower! Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Unknown said...

So pretty! I love the way the distressing looks on those white glazed parts. Just gorgeous!

PJH Designs said...

What a beautiful job you did on this piece. I love the washed look on the Chateau gray. I recently did a white wash on one of my pieces. I really like the trophies so elegant and pretty. Would you please come by and share at Totally Transformed Tuesday? I know my readers would love seeing this piece. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com Hugs, Peggy

Unknown said...

Hi, I love the cabinet, its beautiful. I have a question, you mentioned it had veneer on it. Just wondering what you did to prepare the veneer to be painted? Can it be sanded? Did you prime? Thank you. Love all your work by the way!

yarnaddict45 said...

Do you know what this cabinet is called? Or the period it's from?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...