Saturday, August 4, 2012

Eastern Migration

Well, it's official!  I'm excited to announce something that's been in the works for a few months...  After my husband and I and the three girls moved from the Pacific Northwest to Raleigh, NC last summer for my husband's job, my mom and step-dad decided to migrate east as well.  It's been a stressful time for all of us the last couple of years with two 2600-mile moves (and them having to sell their gorgeous home above), but we are all happy to be together again and of course, the girls love being with their grandparents...

You're probably wondering what all this has to do with furniture and home decor, right? Well, if you've been reading my blog for a (really) long time, then you'll know that I used to go picking, paint furniture, share vintage show booths, and even hold our own vintage shows at their property above for several years...
They were my partners-in-crime for pretty much everything I did for my little business and I've learned so much from them because they are seriously one super-talented duo!
You may remember me mention my step-dad with the mad skills back when I introduced my daughter's bed that he painstakingly put shattered pieces of wood back together and even whittled wood for missing areas of that gorgeous headboard.  He's an amazing wood-worker and can pretty much build (or re-build) anything he puts his mind to...
From cool little antique window conservatories to benches made from old beds...

To completely re-habbing the most broken piece of furniture you can imagine...
Yeah...that was before... here's after...
Between the two of them they've painted some beautiful furniture over the last five years, but in reality, they've been renovating, decorating, and all-around DIY gurus for many years.  My step-dad, Jon, has incredible artistic talent with a paintbrush, and with the design direction of my mom, specialty painted furniture has become one of their trademarks...



Told you he has some mad skills with a paint brush...
Hand carved and painted bunny for the girls' playhouse

Can you tell they like black and white? 

My mom has an eye for design and she's a "house junkie" just like me.  Hmm, wonder who I got that from?  For as long as I've ever known, she's been decorating on a dime, gardening, crafting, and sewing...

My mom was the wife of a dairy farmer for over twenty years before my dad passed away and she did her best making it the most beautiful dairy farm she could for as little as possible.  There's really not much at this point that she can't do and until they get moved into their own house, I've been taking full advantage of her while she's living with me for the last couple of weeks!  Do you know how many sewing projects I have in the works?

Right now they are trying to get settled in and find just the right house, but I'm excited about pairing up with them again to sell some of our wares and possibly teach some painting classes.  Stay tuned!


Kristen


9 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

That's so wonderful, Kristen. You all have been thru so many changes, but sounds like you all will be "groovin" together real soon!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It sounds very exciting, Kristen! I know that kind of move very well. When we had to move to Ohio with my hubby's job, I asked my daughter and son-in-law if they would think about coming with us. They could have a house here {not in New York} and I would have been devastated to be away from my granddaughter. Well, we all moved together last September 28th and I don't know what I would have done without them. My son stayed behind to finish up his schooling, but he's the next one to make his way here!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Kristen,
I live within 20 mins to my parents, the same farm I grew up on. I can't imagine being away from them ever again, and not being able to take my grandchildren - their great-grandchildren- over to the farm as well.

I know all of your lives will be increasingly blessed by having them around. And I can't wait to meet them in October when you guys are a presenter. Woot

Rasonda @ East Conolly Cottage said...

Super exciting and the stuff is just gorgeous. I know we have talked about this before, but we are wanting to move to NC sooo bad. We were originally thinking Raleigh but now we are thinking Wilmington. We met with a realtor last week and are thinking of putting the house up in the next few weeks. Glad things are getting better for you as far as stress and when and if we move we HAVE to meet up at some point.

Deborah said...

What a blessing all the way around for your whole family.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...How incredibly talented your mom and step dad are...so the apple does not fall far from the tree!!...so looking forward to meeting them at the conference (or maybe have the privilege beforehand)...

The furniture pieces are amazingly gorgeous...there are no words to describe just how beautiful they are!!...I wish my mom was close to me...I can certainly give her a few sewing projects too!!...

I am sure you are over the moon excited that they are finally close to you again!!

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

How exciting!! I can see why you're so into design/DIY...they have such amazing talent!! Congrats to them (and you!) on their big move!

Whitney @ Drab to Fab Design said...

How exciting!! They are so talented! I can see where your niche came from ;)

It's awesome your whole family will be together again!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

How wonderful to have your parents close by again! They are a very talented pair.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...