Thursday, September 13, 2012

Slate Blue Metallic Dresser Makeover

I've always loved going to auctions, but don't get the chance to go very often because they are just too long to attend with small kids.  My mother-in-law picked up the girls for an overnight this last Saturday and my husband and I were able to go and enjoy ourselves at a small local auction.  I brought home some new projects including this dresser...

It was the typical " has seen better days" piece of furniture, but beyond fixing the drawer stop on one drawer and general clean-up, it's a good solid dresser.
I haven't painted a two-tone dresser in a while and wanted to use some silver metallic paint that I used on my nightstands, so I dug around in my stash of latex paint for a good complimentary color for the dresser base.  I ended up picking a really pretty slate-blue bottle of "oops" paint that I picked up for 50 cents and I'm loving the color...think I'll go get it color-matched to use again someday.  
It was difficult to photograph the reflective silver metallic paint on the drawer fronts, but after I painted the silver metallic paint on the drawers, I wasn't happy with the streaky finish so I added a wash of white glaze to the top of the silver and it looks more like zinc finish now...
I added a coat of Howard's clear wax (which I love) to protect the paint and sprayed the drawer handles in gloss black...
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  On a side note, I have to admit is was a little weird using latex paint again.  I've been pretty spoiled using chalk paint lately so I had to thoroughly sand, clean, prep before-hand, but it was worth it.
Next up, I'm excited to share my daughter's first painted piece...
Like mother, like daughter :)

Kristen

Linking up to:

15 comments:

Honey at 2805 said...

You turned her into a real beauty, Kirsten! Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

Anne Boykin said...

Kirsten - great job! It's beautiful.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...this piece is magnificent!!...I love the way you got it to resemble a zinc finish.....you certainly worked your magic again!!!...Gorgeous!!...Love seeing that your daughter is following in the footsteps of her very talented mom!!!..So very cute..!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great dresser, Kristen! I love that blue!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your updated dresser looks fantastic.

Dee

Bodil said...

The dresser is beautiful!
What fun that your daughter is painting to.
Bodil.

Heaven's Walk said...

Gorgeous piece and beautiful job, Kristen! I love the color combination you chose! What metallic paint did you use? I'd love to try this on my next piece. :)

xoxo laurie

Taylor said...

LOVE it! I just found your blog from Miss Mustard Seed...and I realized I own two of your pieces! I bought a gorgeous armoir and a turquoise pew bench from you at Lucketts Spring Market! I blogged about them here, so I just added a link back to you. Here's the link in case you want to see how your pieces are doing! ;) http://myfieldsofgreen.blogspot.com/2012/07/blue-furniture.html

And here's another post with our baby playing dress-up in front of the armoir mirror. Your work went to a good home! http://myfieldsofgreen.blogspot.com/2012/07/dress-up.html

renae said...

hi - I'm in a time warp. I could have sworn I saw this post about 2 months ago. I don't think I did, but deja vu or something is going on. it's late but wanted to let you know I joined. see ya later.

Blissful Blooms said...

WOW! It's gorgeous! You have such an eye for color!
Love seeing your daughter on her first furniture project! What a great idea!

The Bold Abode said...

I love the color combination... that silver is fantastic!

ibshell said...

Truly beautiful! What a success. I love the 2 tone look.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love those colors and the gorgeous sheen on the drawers!!

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

It looks really great! I love the metallic look.

I'm a huge fan of letting the kids help. 2 of mine just love to contribute to the beautifying of our home.

Ivy and Elephants said...

OMG this is gorgeous. I think we have a similar piece in my grand-mother's house. Hmmmmmm! This is a beautiful and inspirational post. I would love it if you would share it at our WIW Linky Party. I hope you can join us.

Paula
Ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...