Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kid's Candy Tree & DIY Sprinkles Ornaments

If you've been following my blog a while, you'll notice that my Christmas decorations are generally neutral in color and not something a child would have picked out...

If I took one of my three kids to Michael's or a Christmas decor store and asked them to pick out their favorite colors and ornaments, it's safe to say it wouldn't be pheasant feathers, or dried hydrangeas!
The last several years, the kids really haven't been able to just let loose and have fun decorating their way.  I pretty much took over the living room tree and they decorated some tiny trees in their bedrooms...just a side effect of blogging I guess!  Well a bit of guilt set in this year and I wanted them to have a tree all to themselves...
My mom and I dug up some deco-mesh, red ribbon and some basic ornaments from our respective Christmas stashes and supplied the girls with red and white pipe cleaners, thick fuzzy yarn, gumdrops, lollipops, and other dollar store items.  We also lucked out and found a couple large candy-inspired ornaments for only $1.50 each...
  We simply spread all the supplies out for them to use and it was fun to see what they created...

I also had some clear glass ornaments that I thought would be super cute filled with sprinkles from the baking  cupboard...
The girls were pretty thrilled with these...I think they're my favorite too!
If you've ever watched small children decorate a Christmas tree, then you'll know that it can be a challenge to sit back and watch as they cluster ornaments all along the bottom or in one area, but this tree isn't for perfection...just fun...
It took me a bit to embrace the wonky yarn garland and crooked pipe-cleaner candy canes, but I love it!  The kids don't think there is enough candy on this tree and we could have loaded it up more, but it's right outside my three-year old's room and I know's she has helped herself to a few lollipops!

Kristen

6 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is so cute and they will always remember having that tree.

srpprcrftr said...

Isn't that mostly what Christmas is for? So glad you let your girls go at it, they did a great job using what was available and they knew how to do. Don't some of the ornaments they made remind you of things you've made, just their interpretation? Their colorful and cheery tree is awesome. I might be old but I'd sure enjoy a tree like they made. Merry Christmas Your girls are beautiful.

Eclectically Vintage said...

So cute - we did our take on a candy tree this year too! Your kids must have had a blast!
Kelly

WanderfullyLost said...

Adorable and I LOVE the sprinkles in the ornaments!

Peppermint_Patt said...

I was wondering if you had given your kids away for Christmas lol, glad to see you had second thoughts and let them have their way with a tree. It's cute and reflects their personalities, as well as the reason for the season.
My home isn't Christmas without kids.... miss them since our nest is empty.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The tree is adorable!!!...Not only did they make many pretty things.....they made many memories!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...