Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Christmas Cabinet and a Story...

Out of all the furniture that I currently own, as well as all the furniture that I've bought and sold over the last six years, this rustic antique cabinet is my favorite...


Yes, it even beats out this bed!  I can't even pinpoint why it's my favorite either...maybe it's the original hardware and glass so old that it's wavy and imperfect?  Maybe it's the story behind it and how I found it...
This above picture is from about three years ago before we moved to NC, and believe me, I wrapped that old wavy glass in pillows and packed mattresses around it in the moving truck!  I happened upon this cabinet when I went to purchase a different cabinet on Craig's List back in Spokane, WA and low and behold, this woman had three boxes of old alarm clocks next to this cabinet in her house.  She was packing up and moving and selling off her late-husband's collection (she'd already sold 5 boxes to someone else).  Trying to contain my excitement because I had just a modest collection of vintage alarm clocks at the time, I asked her if she was willing to sell them.  She said she would for all of them (some do not work, but I don't care)!  It's my favorite collection and I've been slowly adding to it...
The man that owned all these clocks had them stored in several cabinets throughout the house, including the one above.  He was always looking for antique/vintage alarm clocks wherever he went and used to wind them up nightly (the ones that worked) and was very sentimental about his clocks.  I could sense that this widow was missing her husband very much and I vowed to myself that I would keep the collection going.  I often think about him when I'm dusting off all those clocks!  I'm a sentimental sap in many ways.
Anyway, back to the cabinet... As I was hauling away the smaller cabinet that I'd originally come for, I couldn't stop staring at this one and finally got the guts to ask if she was selling it and how much would she be willing to part with it for. $200...that doesn't seem much now for a large cabinet, but at the time I'd never spent that much on a piece of furniture (except mattresses) in my life! 
Needless to say, it came home with me and I'm so glad that it did!  Since moving into my home in Raleigh, it still remains one of the most expensive pieces of furniture that I've purchased besides my IKEA sectional and my trestle dining table.  Yes...that's why my tag line is "Live Beautifully on a Budget"...I'm a bit on the frugal side.
I stored my clocks in the cabinet for a long time, but they've found a new home in my office and now my wedding china fills it...
I love how the white dishes contrast with the wood and it's fun to decorate the top for Christmas!  Normally it's a revolving door of furniture in my house, but I think I'll be hanging on to this one for a long, long time.

Kristen

Linking up to:

25 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Just gorgeous and I can see why it is your favorite. Perfect vignette on top.

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Kristen, I love the story of your beautiful cabinet. The clocks are great too!

Sonny G said...

Kristen,
thats a beautiful piece and you certainly made it look Holiday Special.

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Anything you touch always looks amazing!=)
Hollie

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...what a wonderful story...I can just see imagine the widow having to part with the things that were dear to her husband....but then you came along and gave that collection a good home and you think of them when you admire your clocks....Thanks for sharing the story of that gorgeous cabinet of yours...I can see why it is your very favorite piece..for not only the beauty of it...but for the beauty of the history...

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

What a beautiful piece, and a beautiful story, I can see why you love it. And the clocks are wonderful. That was your lucky day!

A Thrifted Market said...

Its beautiful! I love a great story..glad it came home with you. Love all the clocks too..I have a few myself. Merry Christmas!

Jenny@thelavendermagnolia said...

Kristen,

I have noticed that cabinet in many of your posts and wondered if it was waiting a makeover. I was hoping it wasn't. It really is a special piece and I would love to have something as lovely!

Glad to know where the clock collection comes from. I like them so much since they fit into that industrial look that I like (but in small doses!). Very cool!

Jenny

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful, and what a nice story to go along with it. I, too, love the contrast of your white china against the pretty wood. And the way you have decorated it for Christmas is gorgeous. The green looks so wonderful sitting atop this cabinet.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love all your clocks--what a great thing to collect!

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

What a lovely wooden cabint and you have some lovely items in it.
I also love the old clocks I'm always on the look out for vintage clocks.
Denise

Donna Heber said...

I enjoyed reading the story about your wonderful cabinet. It is so pretty and well organized! You have such a fantastic collection of vintage clocks. I hope you will stop by for a visit.

allisamazing said...

Your cabinet looks so lovely!

Nancy at maddalee™ said...

Hi Kristen, this cabinet is the best! I have one from my Grandma, kind of beat up but I love it so and will keep it always. You can see it in my Christmas photos and may enjoy some of my decor and other things at Maddalee, I'm a new follower.

Have a good weekend, Nancy

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

You are right, the white dishes look fantastic against the wood and I like the use of the simple greenery. The clocks are a real prize! I love the look of all the clocks together - its just a wonderful nostalgic look to me!

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

You are right, your white dishes look great against the wood in your beautiful cabinet! I like the use of simple greenery with this. The clocks where a real prize! They look great all together, a real nostalgic look for me.

Ann said...

The cabinet makeover is divine! And, I love it's personal story.

michele said...

i love the scrubbed lovely quality of it. it glows.

hope you'll have a moment to stop by where i have a giveaway today
http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/swedish-style-katrin-cargill.html

peace to you.

michele

Audrey said...

I love this cabinet and the story that goes with it. It is so nice to see natural wood for a change. I admire painted furniture but sometimes I feel that it is getting overdone. I like that you have kept the wood and the same hardware. Your displays are great as well!

Joselyn said...

That is a nice cabinet! And your clock collection is over the top.

Rhonda @ home.made. said...

Such a beautiful piece and a beautiful display - love how you decorated the top!

Visiting from AtoZ... Rhonda @ home.made.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Love the cabinet too. The clocks are amazing, but my favorite are your Christmas - ball - tree - thingies. Those are double great!

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home and have a Merry Christmas!
Sherry

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

Ooooooh, I love it! The cabinet looks great with your china and I love how you have styled it on top. Cool clock collection...I think I am gonna have to take another peek at your office ;)

Miss Charming said...

Great story and such a beautiful cabinet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...