Friday, March 15, 2013

Lily's Garden Room

I've been so busy working on projects for the house this past week!  Between painting hallways, tons of landscaping outside, scrubbing down the screen porch from top to bottom, and numerous other essential (but unexciting chores), I've hardly found time for fun projects.  I did get a huge sideboard stained and painted and is waiting on new hardware and finally got to put the finishing touches on my middle daughter's room...

I mentioned back in January that I wanted to wrap up all the little projects around the house and finally get the rest of my house tour completed.  Lily's room was no exception as it was 95% completed months ago...I just needed to put on the finishing touches and take some pictures.
It's actually been a year since I shared her art desk makeover.  Lily's a first grader who loves to draw, color, and create.  She's actually painted a few furniture pieces too!  She's also a girl who loves bright colors (what little girl doesn't at this age?) and true to her name, she loves to garden and plant flowers...
She'll remind me when I need to water the plants and is now getting old enough to takeover that chore :)  It's also only natural for her bedroom to reflect who she is, which is why she has a bright, cheery garden-inspired room...
The starting point for this room was using her existing dresser which I scored off of Craig's List before we moved for only $75 (including the pink glass pulls)...
We also moved her nightstands...one used to be my husband's childhood nightstand that I freshened up with paint and the other was a $20 garage sale find...

Right before we moved out to NC, I also found a super cute iron bed for $125 in need of some TLC that made the trip out as well...
The bed had about three layers of old, and probably lead-based paint, that my wonderful husband patiently stripped off and re-painted with bright pink spray paint (and sealed)... Did I mention that Lily is a total "daddy's-girl"?
The $65 Craig's List art desk and $5 chair were painted to coordinate with the rest of the furniture and already-owned artwork, lamps, etc.

One of my favorite things in the room are the flower alphabet cards that I just casually hung throughout part of the room.  They have such great illustrations...
Her room (and Summer's) were a bit of a challenge to figure out furniture placement since one entire wall is made up of doors for the closet and the entrances to the jack-and-jill bathroom and hallway.  Luckily, her toys and dollhouse all fit nicely in the closet!
One of the last few projects to get completed was getting the right chandelier installed.  I had actually found a cute flowered chandelier for her room at a vintage sale back in Spokane...again, before we picked up and moved.  After attempting to install it in Lily's room and quickly figuring out that it needed to be re-wired, I lost patience with it and stuck it in my booth for a low price (and a note saying that it needed work)...
I'm glad to say that it went to a good home!  In the meantime, I'd found another chandelier for $50 (that worked), but was spray-painted hunter green.  Out came the bright-pink spray paint again...
I also used a little Pure White Chalk Paint to set the flowers off a bit.  The room was pretty much done, but Lily had one more request...
Tissue poms!  Yes, they've been done a million times, but Lily wanted them and I love the look of them in here.  Her room is so cheerful...I don't mind hanging out in there with her at all!  I also like the fact that all the furniture was only $290 (plus paint) and with all the accessories and bedding, it still was approx. $500 top-to-bottom (sources below).  That's a kid's room budget I can handle!

Kristen

Sources:  
Curtain panels, alarm clock - Target (clearance)
Bedding - TJ Maxx
Lamps - Joann Fabric (clearance)
Alphabet Cards, canvas artwork - Eeboo
Paint Colors - Walls "Spirit Whisper" Behr, Pink Nightstand "Cotton Candy", Green Nightstand "Key Lime" Behr, Desk "Watermelon" Behr & "Pure White" Chalk Paint

39 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a sweet and bright room! It looks like spring. Love the pom poms.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a beautiful room! I absolutely adore the bed. :)

Tam said...

What a beautiful and happy space for a little girl. I love the floral alphabet cards strung around the room! A fabulous job!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a happy, cheerful room, Kristen! I love the colors in here. That chandy is great! I think the thing I like best about this room is that it is ageless. It looks like it will be able to stay like this for quite awhile before you might wind up redecorating for her.

Debra@CommonGround said...

this room is adorable. love the wonderful colors, and that bed and lamp are really set off by that great pink!!

Mindy said...

I can't pick even three things I like best. I LOVE the bed. I love the dresser. I love the chandy. I love the alphabet cards. I love the desk and chair. And the side table. And the bedding. I seriously love everything about it. So stinkin' cute. Lucky girl.

Anne Boykin said...

Kristen, It's a wonderful room - sweet & colorful. I love the bright colors and the garden theme. She's one lucky girl!

Jenny@thelavendermagnolia said...

Between Summer's French room and Lily's happy bright room, I feel like I was so deprived as a child. Maybe I can babysit for them some time so I can re-live my childhood. Do you think they would think I was weird if I just wanted to hang out in their rooms and play barbies the whole time? "Mom, the old lady won't leave!", I can hear them calling out to you!!

P.S. The poms are da bomb!

Jenny

Cassie Bustamante said...

beautiful! i love that bed and love the colors!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...Lily's room is so beautiful...By your description of her personality, you captured it so well in the room...love the desk and bed and just everything...keeping all of your beautiful ideas in my mind as I hope to decorate my granddaughter's room soon...Have a wonderful weekend!

Gypsy Heart said...

I love it! It is bright and cheerful and every element is just perfect. I'm glad she asked for the pom poms ~ they are wonderful!

Pat

Andrea said...

What a beautiful, bright and cheery room! I love all the touches and the colours are gorgeous. I am trying to get our home 'done' also. I think we've probably been in our home around the same amount of time as when you moved (July 1 2011), and it's time to finish it up =)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Lilly is one lucky girl to have such a darling room. Love her chandy, bed and that charming dresser.

Blessings,
Linda

Suzy said...

You've put together one of the sweetest little girl's rooms that I've ever seen. Colorful, cheery and girly without being to frilly. I just love it!

DIYbyDesign said...

What a gorgeous room. I love the colors. It is so vibrant and fun. Beautiful job on the chandelier. I would love for you to share this at my link party that opens tomorrow at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

Amy @ 11Magnolialane said...

Love this happy room! I always thought of using those Alphabet cards in my daughter's room (why didn't I?) and those poms add so much fun! Its such a cheerful space :)
Amy

Amy Kinser said...

This room is absolutely beautiful. What a perfectly well thought out room for a young lady.

Love it all!!!

So nice visiting with you this morning.

Amy

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

This is just darling. I love the colors! One lucky little girl! :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Love this room!!!
XO
Kristin

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

This room is absolutely lovely! I love this colour scheme! Your daughter must be so happy! Have a lovely week! Angie xo

pogonip said...

Her iron bed looks exactly like the one from my grandma's ranch. I've never seen another like it before. Like you, we've spraypainted it a nice bright color. Love Lily's whole room!

Jenny said...

What a sweet room! I'm such a sucker for pink and green, and I love so many of the elements you chose - the bed is one of my favorites, but I'm loving the tissue poofs and the chandy too! I just painted my daughter's room a pretty kelly green color, and have touches of hot pink in there as well. It's a work in progress, but you have some great ideas that I might have to emulate as well!!

Margo said...

Such a pretty room, you did a beautiful job! Pinning it!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Such a pretty room!!

Noble Vintage said...

So cute! Love the colors! :)
H

My Dream Canvas said...

What a gorgeous room!! I am visiting you via No Minimalist Here. I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. I am hosting a Giveaway for my blog's birthday. Please join in if you like it :)

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

This is the most adorable room! I love the cheerful colors and the pom poms are so cute. Thanks for sharing Lily's room at the Open House party.
Hugs, Sherry

Unknown said...

Such a happy, cheerful room! She is a lucky little girl! :-)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

What a great room. A few small changes and I would like it for myself! I love flowers.

Eclectically Vintage said...

World's coolest mom award to you! That bed is amazing!!
Kelly

Lauren said...

This is simply beautiful. So fun. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-11.html

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Lovely room! I enjoyed all the details. Great job and congratulations!
Besos from Argentina, Silvina

The Charm of Home said...

Just beautiful! Love the floral alphabet cards!
Sherry

Brandi said...

I love your daughter's room! The colors you chose are very similar to my daughter's room. We found an old iron bed on Craigslist and painted it white. After seeing your post I think pink would have been a better choice. Thanks for sharing.

Scribbler said...

Lucky kid! I love pink and green, and I would be pretty happy in here, even at my age.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

This is a bright and happy room! I love everything about it!

Anonymous said...

I love the pink and green together. They really work here. Good job!

Sweet Parrish Place said...

Bee You tiful! Congrats on your Savvy Southern Style Feature!

Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

The room is adorable!!

Marti

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...