Friday, September 14, 2012

Lily's Little Table

Quite a few months back I shared "An Art Desk for Lily" and that my six-year-old daughter wants to be an artist when she grows up.  Most kids I know change their minds everyday when you ask them what they intend to be when they grow up, but Lily's maintained her choice of occupation for the past couple years now.  She pretty much sticks to drawing and coloring, but I thought with the very "forgivable" chalk paint out there now, I'd introduce her to painting furniture....


I'd been looking for a little table she could handle for her first project and found this at a local antique mall.  I asked her what color she'd like to paint it and she came up with gray!  I was a little surprised she didn't say pink or purple, but happy she chose the gray.
Ironically, I had just received two beautiful sample pots of "Hurricane" and "Magnolia" from Annie Omar from Maison Blanche Paint Company (seriously beautiful paint!).
Although you don't technically have to sand your furniture with chalk paint, this table had some rough patches, so I set her up with a sanding block and she sanded with the grain without me even reminding her (she's helped me sand before)! I showed her how to brush the paint on in smooth, even strokes and let her go!
I ended up helping her with the spindles and some of the white detailing. Of course, my three-year-old wanted to help out too...
After she was done, there naturally some brush strokes here and there, but we sanded them out without a problem...one of the advantages to using chalk paint!  I think it was a good start for her...can't wait to see what my little artist does in the future...

Kristen

4 comments:

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

aaahh, I love that you let her participate and get creative! That's awesome! And the table turned out to be very cute. I have yet to try working with chalk paint but I'm going to have to break down and do it one day soon.

Your table is a very pretty color and turned out great!

Jennifer

Mary Anne Komar said...

Those are the sweetest pictures ever!!!! Love the intent looks on their faces, so cool you can save these for when the girls are grown up!!! There was a study done that suggested the happiest and most sucessful people, where doing what they loved to do when 7 or 8 years old!!! So you just might have an artist in the family!!!

Mary said...

That is a déjà vu moment. I painted a little table, just about like that one, when I was just a little older than your sweet gal in the picture. hahahaa..... I just became a follower. My sis, Renae invited me. This is a nice blog.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great table...love letting my granddaughter paint with the chalk paint...so very forgiving and she feels so proud when she see the finished product as your Lily did....They belong on a cover of a Chalk Paint ad!!!..they are gorgeous...and so is the table...Great job Lily!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...