Monday, September 24, 2012

My Fall Mantels of 2012

Alright, I'm a little crazy...at least my family probably thinks so when they watch me shuffle decor around the house and changing things out here and there.  You see... I have a lot of "props", or home decor accessories, that I've accumulated over the years of antiquing and vintage shopping and selling at shows and shops.  Thank goodness for some big china hutches and a house with quite a bit of storage.  It's nice to be able to "shop" around the house for things to put new vignettes together, which is what I did for my fall mantels this year.
The first mantel I put together is one my favorite styles...mixing soothing neutrals with silver accents adds a little bit sophistication to the normal fall color palette...


I used my antique trophy cups (one of my favorite finds ever), natural cotton, white and mercury glass pumpkins, and hand-painted metallic painted silver pumpkins to bring this all together.
My next little mantel creation was completely inspired by these beautiful apple gourds that I picked up at the local farmer's market...
I had never seen an apple gourd before and I think they are so cute!  I mixed them in with some old green pub bottles and my boxwood wreath for a simple minimalist look...at least it's minimalist for me :)
I'm lucky enough to have two working fireplaces and since my family/great room definitely has a casual, rustic feel...
 I carried that through to the fall mantel...

Lastly...no, not done yet... I found these real pheasant feathers and since I absolutely love, love pheasant feathers, I had to dedicate a mantel to using them...
As I always do when I need some vase filler, I walk down in the woods behind my house and start clipping...free and easy!
I added some other green elements, amber glass bottles, and my milk paint pheasants and I have a sort of woodland chic feel...part woodsy, part shabby chic!

So far I've kept the pheasant-inspired mantel for my formal living room up for now because it's the last one that I put together...which one would you pick?

Kristen

Linking up to:

32 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmm, I think my favorites are the first and last ones. I love those cotton branches! I wish I could find some for myself. :)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

They both look amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love them all! Most favorite was the elegant white!

Anne Boykin said...

Wow, they're all gorgeous!

chateau chic said...

Lovely options! I think my favorites are your rustic mantel display and the last one with the feathers.
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

All of these mantles are very, very lovely. Lovely enough to pin!!

Roisin said...


All of them are nice, but I like the white one best, probably because the cotton is an unexpected addition.

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

All are gorgeous but I love white! So pretty. We raise pheasants, I've never used the feathers. You have me thinking... definitely inspired by this post!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

Oh I love the cotton, where did you find that? I also picked up one of the apple gourds at the farmers market, it is so cute! Never had seen it before either :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...I have not been able to do one mantel yet and you have done 4 gorgeous mantels....I love the "pheasant mantel" that you decided to "keep"...Have not made it to the Farmers Market and have never seen those apple gourds...they are fantastic!!! and so loving the cotton!!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

All your mantels are great but the last one really speaks to me1 Love the feathers and greens in that fabulous pitcher! The pheasants are awesome and with their slight hint of coloring like the pitcher it really makes a wonderful look!

April said...

Love the one with cotton! I was just thinking today that I need to go pick some for Fall decorating. They all look wonderful!

Andrea said...

how can one choose? I wouldn't be able to decide between the neutral (1st one) and the woodland chic. Both so pretty!

pam {simple details} said...

The next time my family thinks I'm crazy I'll tell them about your four mantles! :) LOVE the white with cotton, beautiful and unique!

Finding Home said...

Oh my goodness they are all so pretty! And I love the cotton! Thanks for sharing!

Vel Criste said...

all your mantels are gorgeous!!! You are truly talented and creative!

Linking back from Centsational girl

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I have lots of cotton fields near me, but I haven't thought to use cotton in a mantel display. It looks beautiful mixed in with the silver and other neutrals. So I guess #1 is my favorite!

Shannon said...

I love love love your white mantel!!!
xo,
Shannon

Unknown said...

I positively LOVE the soothing neutrals mantel! The cotton just gives it the perfect look!! Makes me miss living in the south. I am going to have to get some cotton to use in my home. Thanks for sharing!!

Blessings - Sara

PS I love your spoonflower post. How fun that you were able to visit!!

Unknown said...

Where did you get the natural cotton? I love it!
I would love to invite you to Homa Style's No Orange Autumn Display Link Party going on now. Here's the link...
http://homastyle.com/wp/2012/09/25/no-orange-autumn-decor/
Hope to see all your creations there!

pogonip said...

I love the colors and texture of your rustic mantel and anything with pheasant feathers tickles my fancy.

My pheasant feathers go on my front door wreath :)

Cristina Garay said...

I love them all, but my favorites are the white and the green bottles mantels. Great inspiration! Stopping by from Commong Ground, Vintage Inspiration.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

They are all fabulous! But the neutral one is my favorite, too :) You have such a beautiful blog, I'm so happy to have found you through Debra. Happy fall!
Cheers, Andrea

Becca Bertotti said...

My goodness, I love them ALL ... could never pick a fave! You're so very talented! Happy Fall!

Anonymous said...

Each is so very special in its own way and no way can I pick a favorite...love them all for their uniqueness. But, I am partial to the cotton! :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE the soothing neutrals and the last one.. So beautiful!!

-Fotini

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Lucky you with two mantles to decorate! I'd love just one :) They all look great, but my favorite is the first one. I just love the play of the different neutrals together! Gorgeous!

Deborah

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Wow I like all of them....is that possible? They all look so wonderful. Great job putting it all together. YOur home is lovely and I especially like your living room and fireplace. What a cozy place to curl up and be comfortable with a cup of coffee. It is a great home.
blessings,
Debbie

At The Picket Fence said...

Every single look is GORGEOUS!!! I'm in awe of how you are able to pull these looks together and you always inspire me and give me so many ideas. :-) Thanks for sharing your talent and creativity with us at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

The Charm of Home said...

Oh these were just awesome! They were all gorgeous and I had to pin them. I like the last one the most. I also love the tobacco basket. I saw a lot of these growing up on the farm in KY. Thank you for joining me at HSH!
Sherry

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Beautiful job(s)! You have some lovely mantels to work with. and that fireplace screen might be worth breaking in your house to steal! Argh!

Pieced Pastimes said...

So glad to have found you via the Fox Hollow Mantel Party. All your mantels are fabulous. If I had to choose a favorite, it would be the 'rustic' beauty. Of course the natural cotton sprays on the other mantel tugged at my heart as well. I have become your newest follower and look forward to reading your future posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...