Sunday, June 17, 2012

Easy Breezy Summer Mantel


My family finally had the chance to escape to the beach a couple of days ago and we had so much fun!  We are so fortunate to live just two hours away from Wilmington, NC where we can go to Wrightsville, Carolina, or Kure Beaches, but for some reason it is always hard to get away for the day and we don't go nearly as often as I'd like.  One of these weekends, we are finally going to check out the Outer Banks...something I've been anticipating since we moved to NC.



It is so fun watching my girls' faces as they jump into the waves, find cool seashells, and even come across a crab or two.

As for me...there is nothing like the beach - instant relaxation!  I've always been drawn to the sights, sounds, and saltwater smell of the ocean.  I grew up vacationing to the Oregon Coast and it feels like night-and-day difference between the rugged Pacific Ocean coastline and the flat, populated beaches here...but at least the water is warm!


So after picking up a couple of cool starfish with the girls at the Kure Beach Pier, I was inspired to put together a simple sea-inspired summer mantel...

Except for the starfish, I didn't even have to purchase anything.  I just pulled different elements from around my home like the glass apothecary jar with shells from my bathroom, candles from the dining room, potted fern from the back porch, assorted blue jars that I always have around, and some old calendar prints that I popped into some frames I had on hand...


I finally washed and moved in my huge, antique wine jug that I purchased at the Luckett's Spring Market a few weeks back.  I was a good girl and didn't buy much, but when I saw this marked down to $50 at the end of the show, I knew it was coming home with me!


It is so heavy...I can't imagine what it was like to move it when it was full of wine!

Now I have a little bit of beach here at home to keep me going until our next trip!

Kristen
The Lettered Cottage


10 comments:

Sonny G said...

your mantle looks beautiful.

welcome to NC. we're mighty happy to have ya with us.

enjoy every moment.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your mantel, Kristen! Everything just works together beautifully. I just love the smell of the ocean ~ even when we would just be driving past. I'd always roll down the window and breathe it in.

Unknown said...

Oh! I feel like sand and sea now. Summer is almost here and we'll take the kids in early July. For now I'll just enjoy your lovely mantel - definitely a taste of the sea!

Completely Coastal said...

A perfectly beachy mantel. It's beautiful!! Just love the sea!

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

Hi - I'm visiting from Layla's summer mantel link party!

I love your mantel, especially the calendar prints - they are just beautiful!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I've always wanted to visit the Carolina beaches. You've done a great job of capturing a little bit of the shore on your mantel. I love the prints.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Nita Stacy said...

What a pretty mantel...love those prints!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Kristen, You have such a creative blog! I have spent way too long perusing you older posts. I see you like Luckett's... me too! So many fascinating finds there!
I love your beachy mantle! Those calendar pictures really caught my eye!
I'll have to remember what great pictures they make!!!!
I am a new follower!

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

beautiful mantle ~ makes me think of my mad love for Isle of Palms, SC!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Beautiful coastal mantel! Love the prints.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...