Friday, June 29, 2012

A Bit of Black and White

I love black and white...it's by far my favorite color combination. It's striking, classic, and versatile if you want to add pops of color in.  Although much of my new house is full of soothing neutrals and low contrast, I've always been drawn to farmhouse-classic black and white kitchens and decor like these. Unfortunately, with most new construction, I didn't have much choice in kitchens finishes for a spec home, but I'm still content enough with what I have and really appreciate my new soft-close cabinets and tons of workspace (especially since my former kitchen was tiny!).  Here some of the pics of my kitchen before moving in...






I'm totally not complaining here as I do really love my kitchen, but it's definitely leans to the modern side so I've been struggling a bit to incorporate my vintage-inspired accessories into the space.  Here's a bit what I've added recently...



I think I've got all the accessories in place at this point, but I'm still in search of the perfect lighting to replace the builder-grade fixtures.  The downside of having dark cabinetry and a screened porch right off the kitchen is the lack of natural light so I'll need to takes this into account when selecting the right fixtures.  Part of me wants to take a risk and use something completely outside the box like my glass chicken feeder/waterer pendants I made...
or one of my big industrial lights...
but I'll probably end up playing it safe and get/make something a little more mainstream because of the more modern design of the kitchen.  What do you think?  Should I be free to mix modern and vintage?
I'm also still in that stage of moving things around in my house, trying to work with furniture I already owned before moving in, including my old small dining set from my previous house that doesn't seem to quite fit in my breakfast area.  I came across this table at the flea market a while back and painted it black to bring to Luckett's, but ran out of room in the trailer, so I've been thinking of swapping things around...

     Hmmm...decisions, decisions :)
On another note, I'm working on that glazing tutorial for this dresser that I promised and should have that up in a day or so.  Also, quite a few of you have asked about the image transfer method that I used for a couple of projects I've completed recently...
Desk Chair Makeover here

French Bee Dining Set here
   so I'll be sharing this as well.  Stay tuned!

19 comments:

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I like black and white too. I always think black brings a bit of sophistication to any room. I'm lovin' those cotton branches!

Judy said...

I'm a black & white girl too...I don't think there's anything classier. I'm doing lots of neutrals in my home too but I can always find somewhere to incorporate B&W.

I think you've done an amazing job using your vintage things in a more modern setting...they look great. And I love your wicker chairs, black distressed table and the urn with cotton...a true Southern touch!

Unknown said...

What kind of light do you need to replace ?

I would say that some kind of Utilitarian, to a little
streamlined or industrial, or possibly edging toward
a french look, but clean lined would be the best..
Love your black and cream. Always a classic look.
Speaking of classic, any type of "lantern" type
would also be a good choice for a lighting style.

Love your cotton arrangement.. very cool. We used
cotton pods like that coming out of western boots
and old trophys in a sleek, western chic restaraunt we did last year.. fun !

Diana

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You have a beautiful home! Love the mix of black and white. The set of clocks is too cool! Visiting from Between Naps on the Porch. Hope you'll stop by my blog post too! :)

chateau chic said...

I think you've done a great job mixing your vintage items into your kitchen. It looks beautiful!
Mary Alice

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Oh how I LOVE the cotton arrangement! You have a beautiful home, now following back! Don't forget to come link up at my party tonight...
♥Linsey

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

I totally love your mix of vintage and modern. You've done a great job.

Dani (HeadedForTheFuture) said...

I love that black and white bowl (and chair cushions). I am also in love with your white pitcher and tea cups! It looks great!

Laura, Hoosier Life Hoosier Wife said...

I'm a big fan of the black and white combo. I'm in love with that striped bowl!

I found you through Tuesday's Treasures. :)

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your home is gorgeous. I love the kitchen, looks so fresh and cozy and your floors are wonderful. Really like what you did with the set of jars too.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your kitchen, it is gorgeous. I also love that round black table, fabulous piece. I say mix everything up, I think that is so much more interesting. Love the bouquet of cotton in the champagne bucket, way too fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Hopping over from the Everyday Home...I am in Chapel Hill....love your blog...and hope to meet you at the NC Bloggers get together!

Jennifer Carroll Martin said...

Hi Kristen! Love the old scale in the top photo and I think all your accessories look wonderful (really love the arrangement of cotton on the table too!). Those chicken feeder lights are AWESOME! I would totally mix-it-up and hang those! They're too good not to use! Can't wait to see more photos with the new lights - whichever you choose will look wonderful I'm sure!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I so want that cotton arrangement, so darn cute. I think you can easily add vintage to your kitchen, and like what you have added so far. Love the clocks, and the chair and old scale. I would mix it up, that's what so great about decorating today, your can mix and match. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best!

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Gorgeous, beautiful black and white done perfectly!! I still love black and white and even more now after your pics! Love your kitchen and the striped bowl as well as the chair=)!!!
Love
Hollie

Erin said...

I love the black and white with the cream. What color is the cream paint in your kitchen? I love it!

Erin said...

Hi! I love the black and white with the cream walls. What color is the cream paint? <3

gmurphy said...

I enjoyed your post on your black and white kitchen, Kristen! You've done a good job of mixing modern and vintage and I think you could continue to do so as you layer more things around your house. For the lights I love the idea of using the industrial lights, but I would paint them to keep the feel lighter. White would stay in the color scheme. It could also be a good way to incorporate a splash of color. I think I would do some sort of galvanize steel look to stay in the neutral family but add texture and give it a lighter feel than black. By the way where did you source that porcelain measuring cup/vase in the first photo?

Admin said...

All image are really cute and beautiful. i love it.
Floral Bags

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...