Sunday, January 8, 2012

Footstool and Flea Market

Since my conversion to chalk paint last week, I've been busy hunting down furniture and painting like crazy.  I call it my "instant gratification paint" since it dries so quickly and I can get projects down a lot faster than I used to.  I already used most of a can of Old White and I'm anxious to get a hold of more colors for the furniture I'm stockpiling in my garage.  I had a fabulous weekend shopping (and adding to that stockpile) at the Raleigh Flea Market on Saturday and painting outside for most of the day yesterday.    
One of my favorite things about North Carolina so far is that I can paint outside almost all the time!  I still can't get over the fact that I can sit in the grass (not snow) in JANUARY and paint.  I get giddy over it every time I think about it.  Since paint fumes really bother me, this is a big deal for me.  Even though I finished my daughter's dresser and few other pieces, it's rainy and too gloomy today for pictures, but I'll share my little footstool that I painted and recovered during a naptime last week...


I'm still really just playing with the chalk paint...layering, figuring out it's differences from latex.  Before I start working some some bigger pieces of furniture (dining set, bedroom set), I've been experimenting on smaller side tables, frames, and this footstool.  I first painted it in Duck Egg Blue and added a layer of the Old White, but thought it needed something else to go with the fabric I had on hand to recover the old cushion.

I then added a coat of French Linen, distressed, and (waxed).  I love how easy it is to get the paint to reveal all the layers... an easy way to transform an old tired $10 stool!

I also picked up a few fun things at the flea market this weekend.  I just love the shape of this style of furniture...I think it's empire?  

I'm always drawn to old bottles, particularly in this color!  I spotted the "Gardner Dairy" milk crate on my way out and just had to grab it for my mom.  Her last name is Gardner AND she owned the dairy farm that I grew up on.  Last, but not least, I scored this solid antique armoire.  It is heavy!  It's got the most beautiful wood that I will not be painting over.
Sorry about the terrible lighting in the garage... I'll show more of this beauty when I get it all cleaned up.  In all, it was a pretty great weekend!


Kristen

10 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your footstool turned out adorable. Love the fabric. The dresser, frames and armoire are fantastic finds. Can't wait to see them in their new home. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

I love your take on chalk paint. I have been waiting to try it and you have inspired me....especially the comment about the layers. BTW....I wanted to invite you to stop by my blog. We are having an "impossibility" challenge for 2012!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

You found some amazing things at the Raleigh flea market. I always find something there I love and can't go home empty handed!

Sarah said...

Love the footstool and love your finds! And it's refreshing to hear that something WON'T be painted over. ;)

Tammy said...

My you did get a lot of furniture. Hope the flea market is good this saturday as I am hoping to head out. Can't wait to see it all.

dee dee said...

Kristen,
Your footstool is adorable! I just redid mine but used homemade chalk paint! I have a current post about the homemade chalk paint. Like you I'm addicted to this great form of painting! love your new pieces, can't wait to see what you do with them!
dee dee

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

Your finds are gorgeous and your footstool turned out so beautifully. I NEED to try ASCP, I haven't yet, but you make a very convinving case for it. I love your armoire--I've read that they are losing popularity, but my mom had about 5 of them in our house when i was growing up, and I've always loved them. Thanks for sharing your great finds and ottoman makeover.

Miss Charming said...

Love, love your flea market finds! (So glad you're not painting the beautiful wood armoire.)

Funky Junk Jennifer said...

GREAT FINDS!!! I collect that same color of bottles too, it is such a calm color. Wish I was junking with you! Love, Jennifer

Kristin said...

Great Finds!! We, too, have just discovered the joys of chalk paint. AWESOME!! My mom just redid a dining table and a bunch of other stuff. I am heading up to Sandpoint this weekend to do multiple furniture pieces. Instant gratification is right!!

Favorite color so far?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...