Friday, January 20, 2012

A Cozy Rustic Fireplace

Remember that evolving great room that we have in our new house?  I've been slowly adding elements to the room as inspiration comes and I find just the right pieces.  I really concentrated on the fireplace wall this last weekend, filling in some of the large wall space around the stone.  Since this is our main family room and where our television is placed, I want it to feel cozy and homey.

It's been a bit challenging since the ceilings are very high and with exception of the white slipcovered chair, we didn't own any of the furniture, rug, etc when we moved in back in August.  Let's just say, I've had to shop carefully! 

I've also had to design around the rustic stone fireplace that came with the house.  I love the color variations in the stone and although I rarely decorate with these colors, I've enjoyed the warmer color palette of the rusts and golds. 
Much of my inspiration for the room has come from Pottery Barn's traditional, rustic feel with new and old mixed. 
Now I know that not everyone is a fan of rustic decor or antlers, but my husband hangs out in this room the most (naturally because of the TV) and after growing up in North Idaho and being a hunter most of his life, he's drawn to that sort of thing.  He's very good to me about allowing my taste and style in most of the house, which leans a bit more feminine, so he deserves some decor that makes him happy! 



All of the antlers came with us from North Idaho when we moved to Raleigh.  If you look closely, one pair is actually painted in ASCP French Linen!  These antlers were my husband's grandfathers (and banished to the garage in our former house) because they had been painted an awful green color!  I remedied that with a bit of chalk paint!  I actually have grown to love these antlers over the last few years...
My favorite addition to the fireplace wall is my new rustic tobacco basket I picked up for $30 a few weeks back.  I'd never seen one of these until I moved here.  I find myself loving all things southern like cotton, tobacco baskets, etc.  After hanging the basket and the antlers, I was a little at a loss as to what I wanted to put on the mantel...
Suddenly it clicked... I needed something that would pop against the stone, but not compete with the antlers and basket.  I was going to hunt down every white or ivory chunky candle I could find for cheap and fill the mantel. 
So after scouring the Dollar Store, Walmart, TJ Maxx for all sorts of shapes and sizes as well as using some I already had, I filled it up this week without spending a lot of dough!

Now we have a cozy little place to put our feet up...
read a book with a hot cup of cocoa...
or watch a movie with the family!

In case you're interested, sources are as follows:
Rug - Overstock
Arm Chairs, coffee table, trunk - all from Craig's List
Ottomans, floor lamp, various candles & accessories - TJ Maxx
Tobacco basket - Suzanna's Antiques, Raleigh
Antlers - Sandpoint, Idaho various locations

On another note... I wanted to thank Debra from Bungalow for featuring my blog for her "Friday Feature" series.  I feel honored!  She has a beautiful blog full of inspiration...go check it out!

Kristen

Linking up to:


32 comments:

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Hi Kristen, love your room. The chandelier is delightful and I really like all those white candles against the stone fireplace. And you painted antlers with ASCP! What a hoot! All your details are coming together quite beautifully.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE the area you created around your fireplace and LOVE that tobacco basket!

thistlewoodfarm said...

You have a true eye for design! I love the look of the room and all the texture. Your tobacco basket is stunning!
blessings,
karianne

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

A-maz-ing!! I seriously thought it was a magazine pic=)!! I actually have warmed to antlers too, and really like how you've incorporated both natural elements and fabics; and the glow of candles~just perfect!!
Love, love that shoe mold and the old book and the trunk too~!
Hollie

Debra from Bungalow said...

Thanks for the shout out! That fireplace is looking good.

dee dee said...

Your room loooks so comfy and cozy! I would love to curl up in one of your big chairs to read next to the fire!
Lovely.... you have a great eye!
Dee dee

Sarah said...

Those candles look amazing all grouped together on the fireplace mantel like that! Looks like your great room is coming along great! ;)

Shannon said...

I love every piece of your room, from the nail heads on the chair to the tobacco basket (which is an AMAZING deal at $30)!!! It is just beautiful.

Jenn said...

You are doing a fantastic job working with the colors of the fireplace.

Lovely room!

Studio Shambora said...

Hello!
I think your room is great and your blog is beautiful.
I passed on a blog award to you...you can read more about it here:
http://www.shamborastudios.blogspot.com/
I hope this generates more traffic for you!
Regards,
Jackie

Unknown said...

I'm a fan of rustic style and you have done it well with some elegant touches as well. Love all the texture, a great rug and the mantel of candles is so simple and so pretty.

Crazy Wonderful said...

This is seriously so gorgeous! All of those candles grouped together have me drooling.... I could definitely see myself sitting in one of those fab chairs reading a book, feeling perfectly cozy :)

Shelley
http:westermanfam.blogspot.com

chateau chic said...

Your great room has come together nicely. That wonderful basket is a terrific focal point above the fireplace. I like all the candles on your mantel.
Your newest follower, Mary Alice

Jen said...

Stunning! I LOVE your style! came over from My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia and definatley following you now!!!

dee dee said...

Goodmorning Sophia,
I was honored with the Liebster Award a few day ago and I am excited to get to pass it onto you!
Head over to my blog
http://ddzine.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-blog.html
to check out the details!
Have a great day!
Dee Dee

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a beautiful room. All of your furnishings and accessories are just stunning. Love the mass display of candles. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Michelle said...

I would love to watch a movie or sip hot cocoa in that beautiful room with all the candles lit on the mantle. What a wonderful space. I enjoyed my visit!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Beautiful and look how well the dark leather goes with white, hmmm, I'm getting an idea for my house.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful room...I love the candles on the fireplace! I'm your newest follower from the savvy southern party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & follow along too! I'm also hosting my first giveaway...come by and enter to win a free My Memories digital scrapbooking program.
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Pamela said...

Everything looks just amazing! I LOVE your fireplace.

reFresh reStyle said...

Your room is gorgeous! I love everything about it!
Debbie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Honey at 2805 said...

I really like the abundance of candles! The room looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing your lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I'm a Big fan of rustic style and you have done it well with some elegant touches as well. Love all the texture, a great rug and the mantel of candles just make the room pop so pretty. I'am your newest follower on your lovely blog now. Hope you can come join me on my tablescapes. I also hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend.
XXOO Diane

momto8 said...

really nice! good for you..looks like you can enjoy this space...the candles add a fantastic touch!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

This is stunning and breathtaking! It will be featured tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
XO
Kristin

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love this room and especially those wonderful antlers. Just my style. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Love the way you've taken the rustic theme and run with it. It's beautiful. I love your tobacco basket! I saw one in Asheville and really wanted to get it but couldn't figure out where I'd put it.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Oh and I'm a new follower! I'd love for you to follow me back!

Linda @ It All Started with Paint said...

And I'm back at your blog again today! Would you share this beautiful room as well at our "Imagine the Impossibilities" party too?

The link again:

http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/

Thanks! Beautiful home!

Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Beautiful room! I love how you have styled it ~ everything looks so cozy and inviting! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

The Kelly Tales said...

Found your blog for thrifty decor chick. I love the rustic feel of the living room you created. Totally my style!!! I love the rug, do you know the name of it or style?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...