Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DIY Spring Clay Pots & Michaels Pinterest Party

Are you ready for Spring yet?  I certainly am!  Although I can never complain about the winters in North Carolina after living in snow country most of my life, I'm over this weather.  Ironically, I'm posting about decorating clay pots for Spring when we are currently in the middle of "snowpocalypse" here in the South.  If you're feeling the same way about Winter, then hopefully this little project will cheer you up...

Needing a little greenery and signs of Spring in the house, I headed to my local Michael's store and picked up a few clay pots in assorted sizes and some items to decorate them with...
There are endless possibilities of what you can do with a little clay pot, but since I'm always drawn to nature-inspired things, I picked out some neutral and green outdoor acrylic paint, moss, birch rounds, Martha Stewart fern stickers, coordinating ribbon, and some chalkboard paint and decals, and a few other items.  I haven't been painting and creating as much as I used to and it was nice to sit down for a while and make things!
I made a few different styles of pots that I thought I'd share with you.  One of my favorites is the fern pot...
Martha Stewart makes these great fern stickers (in the scrapbook aisle) that I simply placed on a painted pot, sealed (you can use spray acrylic or Mod Podge), and added some daffodils and moss...

Another easy clay pot project is to simply paint a pot with two coats of chalkboard paint, let cure, condition the surface (rub chalk on, wipe off), and you have a cute chalkboard pot that you can label or draw your own designs on...

Michaels has so many different sized chalkboard labels that you can simply adhere to a pot after painting to label your herbs and seedlings...
Another easy chalkboard project is to simply paint some birch rounds and attach to a small wood dowel or skewer for a stylish plant marker...
Another fun embellishment that you can add to clay pots, candles, etc are these little leather belts that I created with some suede strips and package of miniature buckles.  Just cut the suede to size and attach the buckle hardware...
Lastly, I couldn't resist doing something with these little wooden letter tags I also picked up at Michaels...
You could do a million things with these... String them together for a little banner across the top of a pot or attach them with hot glue like I did here...


Now, for some exciting news!  I'm partnering up with Michaels and Hometalk and will be hosting a Pinterest Party at my local Michaels store here in Greensboro, NC...
If you're local, I'd love it if you joined me this Sunday, February 16th from 1-4pm at the 1616 Highwoods Blvd. (New Garden area) Michaels store!  I'll be bringing my clay pots and will be there to help with any questions and ideas.  Come by and say "hi", I'd love to meet you! If you're not local, don't worry, there are a total of 100 of your favorite bloggers from around the country participating at their local Michaels stores as well.  For more information, just click HERE.  

And if you follow Michaels on Hometalkyou will be entered to win a $100 Michaels gift card. Five winners will be announced on Hometalk’s Facebook page on Feb 17, after the party.  I encourage you to head to your Michaels this Sunday!  See you then :)

Kristen

Sharing at:

11 comments:

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

I love this project! Would love for you to share this week at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Michael's always has the best supplies for everything you need for a craft.
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Jody

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love all those, Kristen. Hope you have a good turn out.

Debra@CommonGround said...

I really need a good dose of "Spring", these are adorable. LOVE the fern stickers!

Blondie's Journal said...

All of these are so cute and it would be fun to start on them now before the busyness of spring! I'm just wondering...does the paint soak into the pot? You mentioned using acrylic paint and then Mod Podge. That's it?

Thanks so much. I'm ready to head to Michaels!!

XO,
Jane

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness Kristin this put such a smile on my face! I'm listening to the rain pounding on the windows but seeing your beautiful projects reminds me that Spring WILL come. LOL!
Vanessa

Just Judy said...

Thanks for the inspiration...looking forward to spring to spruce up my potted flowers and herbs!
Judy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen, these are adorable!...I am sure you had such great fun creating them...Love them all and the "belted" pot is over the top cute!...

Anonymous said...

Love them all! Enjoyed getting to know you + your blog from the Pinterest Party!

Debbiedoos said...

Those are adorable! Hope you had fun, looks like a great event!

Mary said...

Your pots are wonderful Kristen, I love the fern ♥ in particular!

P.S. I sent you an email this morning in case it ends up in your spam folder!

Cynthia said...

I found you blog through Shirley. I am now following you via email. In NJ we have so had it with this winter. It has been unbearable. I would love you to take a look at my blog. With this winter we are trying to build our new home. Take a look around.

Cynthia

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...